Sunday, October 19, 2014

An Odd Year & A New Beginning

The past year and a half has been a little odd professionally. Not as odd professionally as Lady Jenner's hormones or the million-dollar-menopause-haircuts of Howard Wolowitz, but nonetheless odd. I have met some long-term goals and done some personally incredibly inspiring things, like finish a movie (!), travel with my Bunnywith show, and gallivant across the country to share the experience of my girlfriend excelling at an amazing new photography career.

But also within that time I've worked on collaborative art projects that will never be finished, animated cartoons that will never move, designs for movies that for all I know may have gone straight to the garbage, and I got to go places that I can never talk about. And while all of it was awesome and exciting, I've felt a little distant from my own world, my own art, my own company and my own evolution.

Then I went to Detroit with no plans and no expectations and just absorbed everything. I returned with a 5-gallon-bucket full of inspiration and a new perspective on my creativity, however vague and silly that sounds. I also saw Guardians of the Galaxy 3 times in 3 days and that added another 5-gallon bucket of inspiration. 

Now that I'm home, I'm reenergized and re-inspired. So I'm going back to doing what made me happy for years: telling stories, whether they're good or bad, and making some kind of art that goes along with those stories and worlds, whether it's good or bad. 

So, that being said, I'm giving myself a challenge: Over the course of the next 30 days, I'm going to create a new world. I don't know what that means, but I'm not going to over think it. I'll come up with a story and the general world first, and then I'll spend some time populating it and fleshing it out with paintings, drawings, scribbles, bad photoshops and even worse puns. Then, after a month, I'll collect all the drawings and paintings and scribbles and whatever else rears its head, and put them all up for sale on ZEROFRIENDS. This experiment will be a mixture of creating a new body of work for an imaginary art exhibit, creating a new IP for myself to laugh at, experimenting with materials, and pushing myself to create, build, solidify and present a cohesive and expandable world all while I share my progress (and failures) online periodically. 

If you don't already, and you're interested in watching me share scribbles and paintings of something I have yet to figure out, make sure you follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for them sweet tweets! 

OK, now I have to go figure out what kind of world I'm going to laugh at and have fun with….